Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Arroz y Frijoles

Well hello!

I am in San Ramon now by the way. I have a new family, new classes, and lots of new Costa Rican friends. It’s only been a couple of days, but I have already learned a lot about Costa Rica and the “Ticos” that live here.

Here are some super neato fun facts:

1) People here are muy muy friendly! Whenever you meet someone new, they will give you a “beso en la mejilla” (a kiss on the cheek) and un “abrazo” (a hug). In other words, there is not much personal space here! That is good for me. As a notorious invader of personal bubbles, I feel at home.

2) Ticos like to drink coffee. A lot. It is freaking amazing.

3) They also like to drink alcohol. A lot. Maybe not so good for me haha.

4) Everyone here wears Hollister. Everyone. They have no idea that Hollister is actually a tiny hick town where the High School mascot is a freaking Hay-Bailer.

5) Life here is much slower than in California. People like to take their time eating, enjoying life and hanging out with their friends. They live by “Tico time”, meaning they show up at least 20 minutes late for everything.

6) Costa Rica is a place where umbrellas are a necessary fashion statement. It rains here almost every day. Actually, the word “rain” is a misnomer. The sky basically pukes water until streets turn into rivers and hills become mud slides. My tiny San Diego umbrella is no match for sky vomit. I end up getting soaked a lot.

Hasta luego, amigos! I will write more soon!

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say that you're a very good writer, Kelsey. And, I'm glad you're having a good time down there. With Scott in Europe for 4 1/2 months, this is my year of thirst for news from abroad. I find myself stumbling upon blogs from so many other students whom I know and love. I'm glad I stumbled upon yours.

    ReplyDelete